Filed Under Culture

Rhumba Theater

Nightclub turned movie theater was entertainment spot for the Lower Hill

The theatre located in the Lower Hill on Fullerton Street, near Wylie Avenue had at least four names during its history. Originally Burk's Theatre, the site was renamed Golden Theatre by 1934. In September 1935 it became "Javo’s Jungle," a nightclub which closed in February 1937.

By April 1937 the theater had reopened as the Rhumba. It was operated as a movie theatre by Jacob Solz.

It was demolished in 1958 as part of the Lower Hill Redevelopment Project to build the Civic Arena.

Audio

Remembering the Rhumba Long-time Hill resident Sala Udin recalls childhood visits to the Rhumba during the 1950s Creator: HDDHP Team

Images

Rhumba Theatre patrons Large group portrait of men, one wearing clerical collar, women, and children, posed in front of the Rhumba Theatre on Fullerton Street, Hill District Source: Charles "Teenie" Harris Collection, Carnegie Museum of Art Creator: Charles "Teenie" Harris Date: c.1957
Demolition of Rhumba Theatre Demolition of Rhumba Theatre, Kelly’s Bar, Stanley’s Tavern, and other buildings at the corner of Fullerton Street and Wylie Avenue, Hill District Source: Charles "Teenie" Harris Collection, Carnegie Museum of Art Creator: Charles "Teenie" Harris Date: c. 1957
Movie Listings, April 1941 Advertisement from the Pittsburgh Courier shows movie listings for April 1941, a mixture of comedies, dramas, and westerns.  The last listing, for the "Junior G Men" serial, advertises "free candy for the kiddies"

Location

53 Fullerton Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Metadata

“Rhumba Theater,” Hill District Digital History, accessed June 17, 2024, https://hillhistory.org/items/show/42.