Filed Under Education

St. Benedict the Moor School

St. Benedict the Moor School first opened in 1908 as St. Richard's Roman Catholic Church and school. The building's chapel was on the first story, and the school was on the second. St. Richard's combined with the parishes of St. Brigid and St. Benedict the Moor in 1977 and adopted its current name. As of today, St. Benedict the Moor School continues to operate, but at a new location on Watt Street.

August Wilson attended this school for nearly four years while it was still St. Richard's. In a later visit to St. Benedict the Moor, Wilson credited his sixth-grade teacher, Sister Christopher, as the first teacher to push him toward writing.

Location

2900 Bedford Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Metadata

“St. Benedict the Moor School,” Hill District Digital History, accessed July 20, 2024, https://hillhistory.org/items/show/30.