Filed Under Worship

St. George Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Church

This small yellow brick church, topped with a traditional orthodox onion dome, served as a spiritual home for Pittsburgh's Syrian, Lebanese, and Palestinian communities from 1917 to 1959. It was during this time that August Wilson, who wrote the famous "Pittsburgh Cycle," frequently spent time on the chapel steps with other Hill District youth.

Following the congregation's move to Oakland in 1959, various Protestant groups used the church as a space for worship.

Images

Church exterior Image from Google Streetview Date: 2023

Location

1539 Bedford Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Metadata

“St. George Syrian Antiochian Orthodox Church,” Hill District Digital History, accessed June 17, 2024, https://hillhistory.org/items/show/26.